A Science Academy that will run for four Saturdays ( June 10, 17, 24 and July 1st). Catering to Kindergartners through 8th graders. Leading future scientist in investigative efforts to explore science and math in their everyday lives.
- Make Science and Math approachable and fun for k-8th grade students.
- Help students see the practical use of science in their world.
- At the end of four Saturdays students should begin to identify everyday use of science and math.
Four Saturdays, Four aspects of science
Week 1: Environmental Science
Key Point: …
Week 2: Biological Science
Key Point: ..
Week 3: Math and Technology
Key Point: …
Week 4: Field Trip to the California Science Center
- Each Saturday session will begin with a discussion point.
- With the facilitation of a teacher, the kids learn to discuss a main idea. Brainstorming and working well with your teammates is key to being a great scientist.
- Each Student then takes their own ideas and writes them down in their discovery Journals.
- Students will then be allowed 45mins – 1 hr to document all their thoughts on the subject using a form of technology. ( ipads / laptops ). They can use any application they choose to. PowerPoint, Pages , Google docs etc.
- Each scientist will be provided a nutritious lunch ( see menu below)
- Create ! Create! Create!
- After the kids have understood the key point for the day, They get to create and explore some more, refine their notes with findings and refine their presentation/ documents.
- Again the teachers, facilitate and give guidance but emphasis is placed on the child using their own imaginations and putting on their science caps.
Camp will be over 3:00pm. Kids will take home all the amazing things they have created as well as their Discovery Journals.
|June 10, 2017||Subway Lunch Boxes + drink + fruit|
|June 17th, 2017||Pizza + Salad + drink + fruit|
|June 24th, 2017||Chik-fil-a sandwiches + drink + fruit|
|July 1, 2017||Subway Lunch Boxes + drink|
Destination: California Science Center
- The van will transport children to the California Science Center from the church, in two groups. Parents are encouraged to come along with their children for a fun day with science.
- Children will begin their trip with an IMAX movie, then explore 2 exhibits in the Science Center
- At noon, kids will have lunch in the rose garden.
- After Lunch, the kids will go to the Endeavour exhibit.
- If there is still time, the kids can go on one more exhibit.
- Van will be leaving from the Center at 3:00pm .
- Every kid should be back at the church by 4:00pm